Long-Time Traveler

>> Thursday, June 21, 2012

We've had quite the few months of travel.  It's been wonderful and exhausting all at once, but I suppose that's just what traveling is.  It's worth it, though. Some trips I like better than others, but they're all good in some way.

It's been ages since I've written, but maybe having a few good trips is just the thing I need to get me writing again.  So, here goes.

First of Chicago/Michigan

Matt had a conference in Michigan and kindly offered to drive instead of fly so that we could accompany him.  (BTW, next time he offers that, kindly remind me that Michigan is far, far away from Minnesota and if you're gonna do it, make sure to stay long enough to really see some sights!)  We went the Chicago route and stayed with Matt's parents. They have been so good to us, and it was wonderful to see them. We love you Grandma and Grandpa!


Next came Michigan.  We really only had one and a half days there before we headed back.  Matt was at the conference, working.  Sam and I shopped a little the first day because I wanted to see what Pottery Barn had for our new little house.  Sam found one of those interactive mats and had a bit of fun with it.




The next day we headed out to the Henry Ford Museum and the Ford Factory.  It was spectacular!  Our first stop was a Titanic exhibit.  It was a closed exhibit with no photography allowed except the ones they took that cost a bunch of money.  No, thank you! We'll take memories instead.

After the Titanic exhibit, we toured the Ford factory.  Again, no pictures were allowed on the factory floor (union rules) but it was truly extraordinary to see the cars/trucks being manufactured.  I didn't think I'd like it, but I was captivated.  The process is unbelievably detailed. Each bolt put in at exactly the right angle and pressure. Each seam sealed and checked. Each part placed by hand or machine with precision.

After the factory tour, we took a minute to look at the cars on display. If memory serves me correctly, this is the first Ford Mustang. 



I may have stolen a few Sammy/Mommy pics on the shuttle bus back to the museum. I love that he loves me and wants to spend time with me. I may blackmail him with this picture during the teenage years.

We have a few minutes left before we had to pick Dad up, so we looked around the museum's collection of historic cars.  Among the most interesting was the bus that Rosa Parks sat on. Sam had learned about this in school and he was very excited to see it.



I love that he has taken an interest in this part of history.

Another car from this era: President Kennedy's limousine where he was assassinated.


The next day we drove from Michigan, back through Chicago for a day, and then back home to Minnesota.  Long trip in a few short days. However, it was good to see family, and the museum was wonderful.  If you are ever in Michigan, make sure to see the Henry Ford Museum.

Lots more to come but I MUST get to bed. Jetlag is a killer. TTFN.

2 comments:

Michelle June 21, 2012 at 8:21 AM  

Yeah! So fun to see you and your handsome boys! Sounds like such a fun trip! When your travels include Utah someday please let me know, I would LOVE to see you!

Steph Thomas June 24, 2012 at 7:49 PM  

Man, I feel like this is a blast from the past. It has been quite awhile since I have read I post. I am excited to see that you are back!!! YAY!!!!! Man, the good old days when you guys lived here...that was when we still had hope. Glad to have to posting again.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP