The Restaurant

>> Sunday, July 22, 2012

This was my first big trip being gluten free.  I was anxious, to say the least.  I didn't know the language and it seemed like everything had either soy sauce or spicy gochoojang sauce, both of which are gluten-ous. Yikes! I imagined my nights with my arms clasped around my belly, rolling in pain on the bed. 

Previous to our arrival, however, I did a little research to find out about eating gluten free in South Korea.  Luckily, there are a few dishes (around 5 or so that are very common) that are naturally gluten free.  So, cross-contamination aside, at least I would have something to eat.

The first day, our hosts took us to a little restaurant just at the base of the hill where the university was located.  (Remind me to tell you about that dreaded hill someday!)We ate there and thought it was great.  The next day we went to another place and asked if they had any of the gluten free dishes.  No luck.  We went to another place and asked again.  No luck.  After the fourth or fifth place, we decided to go back to the place we ate the day before.  We ate there almost every weekday that we went out touring.

After a little while, I was able to communicate that I couldn't have soy or gochoojang sauce.  They were very accommodating.  They even took my gluten free soy sauce, kept it in their refrigerator, and cooked my meals with it.  I think they deserve a special spot in heaven for that. I am so thankful for them!



We actually became quite friendly with them.  They were kind and skilled and we saw them almost every day.  The first week we were there, the mother/mother-in-law was there.  (She's on Sam's right.) After that, it was just the husband and wife.

Sam's first bit of kimchee was a big one ...
I couldn't resist making this pic extra large because I think this kid is SO. DARN. CUTE.



 Just for future reference, kimchee is very spicy ...

Trying to laugh through the spicy heat and reaching for the cold water.




The husband had a translation app so we could communicate a little.

Kimbap! Yum!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP