Baby, It's Cold Outside!

>> Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Today the high temperature was around -8 degrees F.  With the wind, it felt like it was in the -30 to -40 degree range.

It's kind of hard to explain how cold that actually feels.  It's the kind of cold that when you walk further than ten feet from your car to the door of the grocery store, your face starts to hurt.  When you fill your car up with gas, you run the risk of getting a cold burn (is that a real thing?!) if you don't wear gloves to touch the pump.  When you walk outside and take your first breath, you reflexively cough a little bit because the air is so cold that it shocks your lungs.

Betcha wish ya lived here.

Yesterday all three of us spent over an hour shoveling out what felt like tons of snow after a blizzard.  The wind chill was -45 F.  Not my favorite.

There are bright spots, though.

Today, there was a beautiful sun dog.  It was absolutely stunning.  A sun dog is a little like a rainbow surrounding the sun, but it happens in the cold.

The sun is at the center, and the light reflects around it.

This is one side of the sun dog.  This photo captures a little bit of the color.


Today we also decided we would try out what we've heard called 'boiling water fireworks'.  This is where you take boiling water, pour it in a cup and throw it in the air.  The water from this video was at a rolling boil just a minute before.  I'll let you watch the video to see what happens.




So,  I guess, that even though the cold is bitter and wearing, it is also beautiful and magical.


6 comments:

Mariam February 20, 2013 at 9:20 AM  

Ok, so I don't have anything to complain about. We have gotten below zero a few times and I thought we were going to freeze to death. Sam is so grown up!

michelle February 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM  

That was so awesome! I told my boys how Sarah Watkins said they did that on her mission in Russia and there were excited to see it actually happen!

Steph Thomas February 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM  

So excited to see a post from you!!!! Ok, now I will go read it:)

Steph Thomas February 20, 2013 at 5:40 PM  

Problem...I don't even remember where you guys are? You have got to update your blog more so I can keep up with you.
That is a really awesome picture. I am glad that I get to just watch it instead of actually being outside. I have gotten to be such a wimp. I have been in AZ and TX way too long. I am cold if it gets below 75 degrees. Again, so happy to see a post from you:)!!!

C February 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM  

Ha ha, Steph! We're in Minnesota now. I'm getting to be less of a wimp, but still don't like it. Hopefully the blog updates will come a bit more often. You were one of the people who requested a post, so this is for you. Love you!

SJW April 1, 2013 at 5:36 PM  

Hi Carol! I don't know if you even remember me, but I had to peek in on you via Steph. We're living in Argentina right now, and Stephanie told me that you guys lived in China for 3 years?! Wow! I'm anxious to see how my girls will re-adjust when we come home at the end of this year. It was fun to catch up on where you're at. Hope all is well.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP