A miracle

>> Sunday, October 17, 2010

I visited a ward for their ward conference today in my new official capacity as a member of the Stake Young Women's presidency. During the lesson, one of the Young Women leaders asked if any of the girls had ever experienced a miracle. A few hands raised and the girls shared their stories. Then one girl, who is blind, raised her hand. She said that twice, when she was looking in the mirror in the privacy of her bathroom, she has seen herself. Her whole face. I could feel the wonder in her voice as she shared this simple miracle.

I have been thinking about that all day. I wonder what it would be like to never know what I looked like. Or what other people looked like. And then, for one miraculous moment, glimpse a picture of who I am. What a wonderful blessing that would be for me. A moment of pure self-knowledge.

I love that she didn't need to see anyone else for comparison. Just knowing herself was enough.

I often seek for pure knowledge of myself, asking "What do I want to be when I grow up"--even though I'm coming up on 40 years old. I wonder what it would be like for me, in my spiritual blindness, to really see who I am, to see myself as God sees me--minus the faults and insecurities and blemishes that are all too apparent every time I look in the mirror or reflect on the state of my soul.

My guess is that I, too, will experience moments of clear vision. Maybe just a few or maybe many. I hope I recognize them, just like this young woman did, as miracles.

God gives me what I need. I can rely on his sight until he shares his vision with me. That's a miracle, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykzZAODJSI

1 comments:

Chrysula Winegar November 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

What a magnificent experience, and your extrapolation of it truly powerful. Truly the small miracles can also be the most monumental. I am grateful I saw this today... thank you.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP