The Biggest Snow Storm in 50 Years

>> Saturday, February 6, 2010

We had a huge snow storm--the biggest storm Beijing has seen in 50 years. I felt a little bit like I was in Utah. Sam had a blast. He jumped and threw snowballs and knocked snow onto other people. I have never liked the snow, but this time it was so peaceful. The botanical garden was calm and it seemed like no amount of shouting or snowball fights could penetrate the stillness.



This tree is ENORMOUS. It was lovely with it's branches weighed down by the new snow.




Matt mentions my layers of clothes in this video. I am, to put it mildly, cold averse. So, I usually wear a few pair or long underwear. Yep, you read right, two pair. A cotton and a wool layered. And I wear a fleece and a sweater or two under my coat, too. Oh, and ear muffs and a hat and scarf. That pretty much does the trick but all winter I look like I'm a little puffier than usual. And it's hard to put my arms all the way down. It's a small price to pay for warmth.

Below, Matt is hitting the tree branches so the snow cascades down on Sam. Sam loved it and asked Matt to do it again and again.


And, of course, what outing would be complete without the obligatory picture of someone wanting a picture with the "laowai" or foreign kid. Sam kindly obliges.


My two guys in knee-high snow.



Sam and me showing how much snow there is. For Beijing, this is unbelievable.


Playing in the snow.



This is the same scene I photographed at the end of fall. I love the comparison between the end of fall and mid-winter.



1 comments:

Michelle February 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

Your son has such a great smile! Looks like such fun!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP