Usta!

>> Thursday, June 17, 2010

Many of you who have watched the Veggie Tales, know that Usta means "lips" in Polish. Well, today Sam got stitches in his usta.

Matt and I were sleeping in while Sam was playing his new Nintendo DS. All of the sudden there was a thump and then a few seconds later, a groan/cry. We ran out to find Sam on the couch with his lip bleeding profusely. He said he was playing DS and then stood up. Then he described the perfect faint. There was a little puddle of blood on the floor.

Luckily (unluckily?) I had cut the tip off my finger over a year ago and a friend of ours took us to a new, clean hospital. They did a great job with my finger so we went there.

Or tried to, anyway. We couldn't remember exactly where it was, but we knew the general area. Our cab driver took us to one hospital but when we walked in it was unfamiliar. Worse, it was dark and dingy and smelled like urine. We left.

We caught another cab and drove around until we found the place. Hallelujah. We were familiar with the process of getting registered and we headed up to see the doctor. As it turns out, the office and equipment were new and, most importantly, the doctor was professional, skilled, and even spoke a little English. She took a long time checking the wound and finally decided that stitches were in order.

This is her checking the wound.

Sam was a pretty brave kid. During the exam and even during the anesthetic shot.

This is his big lip after the anesthetic.

Matt actually took video of the stitches, but I don't really want to post it. Ick. I figure the before and after shots are good, or gross, enough.

This is after the stitches.


And here's a little smile.

I suppose most boys have stitches every once in a while. Nothing to be concerned about. I did learn a few things:

1. Matt will feel faint when an emergency first happens.
2. I will feel faint after the worst part is over.
3. Sam is surprisingly good at medical Chinese and is great at translating for his parents who feel faint, even when his lip has a huge gash in it.
4. Calling a cab is a pain in an emergency.
5. I will be glad to be back in a country where I speak the same language as the doctors I visit.
6. We'll survive.

4 comments:

Michelle June 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM  

Um yeah, plenty gross enough. Poor Sam! Glad you all survived!

C June 17, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

I hope it isn't too gross! Maybe I should take down a few of the pictures...

Elisa June 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM  

Oh wow! That lip looks nasty ouchie!

~Elisa

Rhamnites August 12, 2010 at 5:47 AM  

Oooo, major ouch! Brave you, brave him, way to conquer the emergency!

-Alisa

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP