>> Friday, July 31, 2009







Sam was utterly exhausted and hungry. When the food came it was so different and our little pier-side eatery smelled so fishy that he really didn't eat much. He just wanted to go to the aquarium. What he really needed was a nap. We did, too.


Lunch on the pier of the Chao Praya River.

Wat Arun from the boat.



Sometimes it's just fun to wander away from the tourist areas. This was a little place off to the side of the street food vendors near the river. No tourists were around besides us. There were apartments and it smelled like fish. Lots of dried fish and rice vendors.



After Wat Pho, we wandered down the road. This is a street vendor selling Buddha amulets. There's a law that says people can't actually sell images of Buddha, so I guess they call it "renting". We rented a few for Sam.






Do you know what this little squirrel-type animal is?
We certainly don't.
It was in a cage and the lady let Sam hold it.






On the way to Khao San Road, we stumbled on this group of demonstrators.
You can see the people all in red and the Grand Palace in the background.
Someone said that they were protesting the consolidation of government power and wanted a more democratic system. This is the original place where protests took place when Thailand became democratic.


The riot police were in full gear and were very friendly.
They told Sam to hold the shield for the picture.



And Matt ate a grasshopper.
Ick.
I have to say it was pretty daring. Too daring for me.
He says it was super gross.


Khao San Road.
This is the hippy, druggy, tattoo place. I wanted to see it during the day. It seemed more like a place where young adults go to make really bad choices than a tourist attraction.


We're in Thailand and Sam eats at McDonalds.
*sigh*
I can't really say anything about it because I ate pizza later.
It is better than grasshopper.



Waiting for the ferry on the way back to the hotel.

3 comments:

Erin August 1, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

I'm so glad to find your blog ... I periodically checked the others but didn't see anything there. Great photos - my kids LOVE the photo of a Thai Ronald McDonald. :)

LisaB August 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM  

So very, very fun! I'm so glad you're posting about it. Mini-vacation in my basement this morning :-)

C September 9, 2009 at 12:02 AM  

Erin, the others are blocked here in China and I can't post on them. But, I figured out how to post on this one even though it is blocked. I hope it stays that way!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template

Back to TOP